Disaster Grads Listserv
Disaster Grads is an email listserv for informal discussion and information sharing among undergraduate and graduate students who do research in the area of hazards and disasters. The discussion list is a great way to contact other students with similar interests and to ask for support and resources. Disaster Grads also regularly sends out calls for papers, announcements about assistantships and fellowships, and information on an assortment of programs, conferences, and workshops.
Disaster Grads currently has more than 2,800 subscribers with international representation from all over the world. Subscribers include students who are enrolled in many institutions and a variety of departments and graduate programs, such as geography, engineering, public health, sociology, and economics.
To offer feedback, ask questions, and/or express concerns, contact the list moderator Nnenia Campbell at Nnenia.Campbell@Colorado.EDU.
Guidelines and Rules of Conduct
Things To Keep in Mind When Sending a Message to Disaster Grads:
- When responding to the list, keep your message brief.
- Include a portion or summary of the message you are responding to, but do not forward the entire message.
- Have an opening and closing in your message.
- Be careful when using humor in your message.
- Do not send a meaningless message with no content, such as "I agree."
- Identify yourself. At least provide your first and last name, as well as your academic affiliation.
- Avoid flaming individuals on the list. If you have a conflict with an individual, send your comments to the offender directly by private email message.
- Do not be critical of people's queries posted to the list. Remember that we are here to learn, share, and grow through this communications forum.
Rules of Conduct:
Disaster Grads subscribers...
...will not post any communications that are normally considered libelous, defamatory, false, obscene, indecent, lewd, pornographic, violent, abusive, threatening, harassing, or disruptive, or that may constitute grounds for civil liability.
...will not request contributions for political candidates or solicit attendance at partisan political events.
...will not use false, misleading, or duplicative addresses in order to disguise the destination of any content transmitted through this service.
...will not forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any content transmitted through this service.
...will not upload, post, email, or otherwise transmit any material to the best of my knowledge that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files, or programs designed to interrupt, destroy, or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment.
...will not upload, post, email, or otherwise transmit any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, junk mail, spam, chain letters, pyramid schemes, or any other form of such solicitation.
...will not upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any copyrighted or proprietary information, personnel records, or other information restricted from public dissemination without proper authorization as provided by law.
...will understand that failure to observe these rules and to conduct myself with appropriate etiquette will result in remove from the Disaster Grads listserv.
Note: Guidelines and rules of conduct are adapted from the listserv of the International Association of Emergency Managers with permission of the list moderator.